As regular readers of the blog will know, when it comes to anything involving chocolate, especially if it happens to be brownies, I’m more than a little obsessive. This week however, I committed a bit of a faux pas and forgot to buy cake when my mummy friends were coming over. As I hadn’t planned to bake I began a bit of an invention test with what we happened to have in the cupboard. These brownies were the result and as according to the girls and the other half they were my best ones yet I thought I’d better share
10 oz Toblerone (7 oz for melting, 3 oz for breaking up)
4 oz butter
8 oz caster sugar
2 large eggs
A couple of drops of vanilla essence
5 0z plain flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Break 7 oz of Toblerone into small chunks and melt with 4 oz butter. (I do this in a bowl over hot water, but if you are careful and do it in small increments to avoid burning the chocolate you can also do it in the microwave).
- Once melted stir in 8oz of caster sugar evenly. (At this point because of the nougat in the Toblerone the mixture will look much thicker than you would usually expect.)
- Beat two large eggs and stir into the mixture alongside a couple of drops of vanilla essence.
- Stir in 5 oz of plain flour (no need to sieve).
- Place the mixture into a square cake tin and spread out evenly.
- Break the remainder of the Toblerone into small chunks and press lightly into the top of the mixture at even intervals.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes depending on how gooey you like your brownies.
P.S. Remember if you overcook, pop into the microwave for 20 seconds before serving to restore their lovely gooey texture.